Star Ratings are about standards – your standards, our standards and the standards expected by your guests. 85% of Australian travellers use Stars when choosing accommodation. Stars are a mark of quality, regardless of the number of Stars you have been awarded.
Star Ratings are an internationally recognised symbol for quality accommodation standards, used in more than 70 countries around the world. Star Ratings are determined by a suite of more than 200 criteria that have been ranked by Australian travelers according to what is important to them, reflecting the cleanliness, quality, and condition of guest facilities.
The program works to safeguard against ‘self-ratings’; which occur when properties assign their own star rating by assessing their own quality standards. Self-ratings are not calculated according to a consistent or reliable standard and are not verified by an independent body. The Star symbol is a registered trademark, which means only Star Rated licensees can display star ratings and unlicensed properties displaying star ratings are in breach of trademark practices.
What do the Star Ratings mean?
Properties receive a rating of up to five (5) stars, calculated according to standards across three key assessment areas:
- Quality and condition
- Facilities and services
These assessment areas are applied to aspects of the property, including bedrooms, bathrooms, recreation areas, in-room facilities and so on, which have been ranked by guests according to what they value most in their guest experience. For example, within the bedroom guests place the most value on the bed/size of the mattress, followed by bedding, window coverings and privacy, so these areas have greater weighting in the scoring for bedroom facilities.
Properties that typify luxury across all areas of operation. Guests will enjoy an extensive range of facilities and superior design qualities and their experience is typically complemented by service standards that reflect the varied and discerning needs of the guest.
Properties that achieve a deluxe guest experience. Guest will enjoy a wide range of facilities and superior design qualities and their experience is typically complemented by service standards that reflect the varied and discerning needs of the guest.
Properties that deliver a broad range of amenities that exceed above average accommodation needs. Good quality service, design and physical attributes are typically fit for purpose to match guest expectations.
Properties that focus on the needs of price conscious travellers. Services and guest facilities are typically limited to keep room rates affordable and competitive, by may be available upon request incurring an additional fee.
Properties that offer budget facilities without compromising cleanliness or guest security. Guests may access fee-based services and facilities upon request.
Star Ratings are awarded to accommodation providers across six categories. Criteria can vary between categories. The six categories include:
- Hotels: All rooms have bathroom access and all bedding and bathroom requirements are included. Property representatives, or management are available 24/7.
- Motels: All rooms have a private ensuite and all bedding and bathroom requirements are included. Rooms have access to parking and property representatives, or management are available 24/7.
- Serviced apartments: Serviced and contained apartment accommodation with daily housekeeping and property representatives or management are available 24/7. Apartments have private bathroom and kitchen facilities and all bedding and bathroom requirements are included.
- Hosted Accommodation: Hosted accommodation where a resident host/manager interacts with guests throughout their stay, includes breakfast and all bedding and bathroom requirements. Can include B&Bs and glamping experiences.
- Caravan-Holiday parks: Caravan and holiday parks with shower and toilet facilities and property representatives or management available 24/7.
- Self-Catering accommodation: Self-catered accommodation facilities with complete bathroom and kitchen facilities and property representatives or management available 24/7.
What are the benefits?
In addition to receiving increased credibility, competitiveness and reputation, Star Ratings accredited properties enjoy a range of valuable benefits to their business:
- The property is licensed to use the registered Star Ratings trademarks in their marketing material
- Receive a FREE property listing on starratings.com.au and trustthetick.com.au, both of which support direct guest bookings
- Receive access to your own FREE ReviewPro dashboard, allowing you to collate and manage all of your guest reviews in one place. Receive an exclusive Traveler’s Rating which incorporates a guest review score into your Star Rating
- Use the accreditation’s business development processes to identify and establish goals for ongoing improvement
- Receive a site assessment visit every three years to verify your Star Rating standard and reflect best practice for soft and hard refurbishments
- Inclusion in the Australian Tourism Industry Council’s (ATIC) national advertising campaigns to promote Star Rated properties
- Entry into the annual Gold List of Australian Accommodation, curated by ATIC
What does the process involve?
Star Ratings accreditation applications are completed online. The accreditation process is detailed in below. As you will see, following your online application, a provisional Star Rating is granted until first site assessment is conducted. Your first site assessment will verify the standards claimed in your application and determine the appropriate Star Rating for your property.
- Register online at online.qualitytourismaustralia.com
- In the meantime, commence your pre-assessment application in the QTF platform
- Pay your registration fee. Once payment has been confirmed you can submit your application.
- A provisional star rating is provided, and you will receive a copy of your provisional star rating report.
- As site visit will be conducted within 12 months and then every 3 years thereafter
- Based on your assessment, your official star rating will be determined and granted.
If you would like further information on the program, or have questions about the process or your eligibility, please contact our Accreditation Manager at email@example.com
How much does it cost?
Annual fees are based on the number of annual full-time equivalent persons working within the organisation, whether employed as staff or through a contract arrangement, including owner operator. Volunteers and other unpaid workers are not included in your calculation.
Want more information?
Please contact our Accreditation Manager.
Phone: 02 6162 4460